Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dangling with "Real" Life

I feel like I have gotten into a great rhythm in Baton Rouge. I am on my own during the week and then I get to make some awesome plans over the weekend.

This weekend, my mom and sister came back into town to visit. On Thursday night I decided to catch my mom and sister up on what has been going on in my life recently. I told them about some of my future plans and some of the people that I have gotten to know while in Baton Rouge. It was a big learning experience for me because I am stuck in the middle of deciding what is best for me and what is going to make me happy. I am hoping that I can find something that will satisfy both of those wants but I also will never know everything when I am making my final decision. I think one of my biggest lessons this summer is about being my own support system. It would be a lot easier for me to make decisions if I didn't want all of the people close to me to be on the same page. I am not at that stage yet but I think it is only a matter of time.

The next day, we went to the Myrtle's Plantation. It is one of the top 10 most haunted plantations in the United States and my sister just couldn't get enough of all the legends. I usually don't do scary but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. On Saturday, we really became a part of the Bayou by going on a Swamp Tour. My mom is obsessed with the show "Swamp People" and the first thing that our tour guide told us was that you can't believe everything you see on TV. We only saw one little alligator but we learned a lot about different birds and a lot of flowers in the swamp. After that we were looking around the antique shops for a cameo necklace but we didn't have any luck. I am hoping that there will be an antique one in New Orleans this weekend. We were exhausted to say the least, so we spent the rest of the weekend just relaxing in my apartment.

It was another average week at work. It was the first time in a few weeks that I actually worked regular hours, not trying to make up hours to leave early on Friday. I have really started to make note of what I like at work. I like when I get to work with other people. I didn't think I would like collaboration but I think it reminds me how I am helping the other people in the accounting department. I also like having control over my work. The more work that I get to contribute to a project, the more I feel like I am making a difference. I also like projects where I am making a significant difference for the better. I know that realizing what I like about work will help me make a better decision in the coming year.

This past weekend, I got to spend some time by myself. It was nice to feel like I could do whatever I want and that is exactly waht I did. I stayed in bed for a long time on both Saturday and Sunday. I got out of bed to do some sightseeing on Saturday and to go to this great restaurant on Sunday night. It was just what I needed in order to get ready for New Orleans this coming weekend. Unfortunately, I am not feeling too good this week, so hopefully I can kick it in the next few days.

Movie of the Week: Forrest Gump. I know, it's a tradegy that I haven't seen it before now. It was a very interesting movie and I can definitely understand more of the jokes now. I am glad that I am using this movie of the week goal to get caught up on some pretty old movies. I feel like it helps me get caught up with my generation.

Book of the Week: How to Bake a Perfect Life. One of the many books I picked up when Borders was going out of business. It was your typical chick lit novel with a few bread recipes tied in. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it as a summer read in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment