Monday, June 18, 2012

Dangling with Parrotheads and a few other pretty awesome people!

So after working extra hours a few days, I got to head out of work at 3:00 p.m. to catch my flight to Atlanta. I am getting really use to being in the airport and by the end of this trip I was kind of tired of seeing planes fly into the distance.

I headed to Atlanta to see the Jimmy Buffett concert (check that off the bucket list) and boy was it a sight to see. My friends, Audrey and Coey, had the pleasure of coming with me and we will probably talk about this night for awhile. We were first excused of being too young to buy beverages for the tailgate, so we pulled out our IDs and proved the cashier wrong. Once we got to the concert, we picked one of the more chill parking lots that was probably a good mile away from the entrance to the amphitheatre. We made it to the amphitheatre and tried to find a place on the lawn. Lucky us, we picked a great place to see two shows that night. One show was taking place on the stage, the other was taking place two feet in front of us. I won't go into all the details but I will say that the average "Parrothead" is a very interesting bird =) Also, I had my first experience having a beer thrown in my direction. To set the record straight, I did not do anything to deserve this beer being thrown in my direction, I just happen to be in the crossfire of a fight.

The biggest surprise of the evening was when Zac Brown decided to join Mr. Buffett on stage. They sang a few of their collaborative songs which I thought was a great added bonus. All in all, the concert was great. I feel like I got the experience that college students should have and I will definitely go back to one of his concerts one day.

The next day, I got the pleasure of having brunch with my sorority advisor. It was her goal to meet with all the vps individually over the summer and my meeting could not have come at a better time. I got a lot of my feelings out on the table and she really helped me come up with a game plan for the rest of the summer and into the fall semester. I am hoping that I can rebuild some bridges this summer in the land of Delta Gamma. I think it is great that I have gotten away from my responsibilities for awhile and I know I will be ready to come back with a renewed vigor in the fall. I wouldn't be able to feel so good about this experience without the help of my advisor.

I got back to work on Monday and had a pretty relaxing day just catching up on stuff. On Tuesday, I finally got to have dinner with someone my own age because the controller at the plant introduced me to his daughter. We went to a restaurant/bar that someone had suggested to me and I got to try my first po'boy. I am not sure why this sandwich is such a rave down here. It is really just like a seafood sandwich with all the regular fixins. I think it at least needs an unique sauce or something. On Wednesday, I got to participate in a Cycle Count Audit for one of the warehouses and teach someone how to work with Maintenance Labor Reporting. It is great to see the work that I have put into a project being used to improve processes. When I can see that I am helping people is when I really enjoy my job. That night I got to catch up with the president of Delta Gamma and it was absolutely one of the best discussions I have ever had. She reminded me that Delta Gamma is really about the relationship that I make and in order to be a good leader you have to be able to hold yourself and others accountable. I am hoping by the end of this fall semester, we will have made a lasting impact on the chapter and be able to walk away from our experience as great friends. On Thursday, I got to spend a lot of time in the retention shed at work putting together some documentation. It is one of the tasks that has to be done but it's hard to find the right time to do it. I am hoping that the work that I put in this summer will help them to move forward with this project.

Another pretty average week work wise but I am trying to use my time away from work to create meaningful experiences. I am hoping that I can come back to Athens with a new outlook on life and be more aware of how to make my senior year in Athens one for the record books.

No comments:

Post a Comment