Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summer Reading 2011!

I am stealing this idea from my wonderful friend, but I think it's great to share with other people books that I am enjoying while on a break from school reading. Enjoy :)

Heart of the Matter by: Emily Giffin
I absolutely love Emily Giffin's books. Each book has gotten better and she has a way of making the ordinary chick novels have an extraordinary ending. I guess you could say I was expecting a lot out of this novel and it didn't quite meet my expectations. I didn't know how I wanted it to end because it is difficult to choose between two characters that you have come to know. I guess in the end I realized that the title of the book is very true. Love is more than just a feeling.

The Good Good Pig by Sy Montgomery
I think I picked up this book two summers ago and never got around to reading it until now. I don't know why I picked it up to begin with but it was definitely something that I needed to read this summer. It's about a pig that basically takes hold of everyone's heart in a small northern town. Sy describes how this pig lives such an easy life and it just gave me prespective on what is important in life.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
See the previous post. One of the best books that I have ever read. It is still resonating with me even a month after I have finished it. I just keep thinking about the ending and what it meant for so many people.

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
It might not have been the best choice to follow The Help but I don't actually know if any book could follow The Help and capture my heart more. This book's ending also threw me for a loop but I am starting to discover that not understanding the ending of the book on the day you finish is not necessarily a bad thing. These are the books that you continue to think about and only truly understand after you have thought about it for awhile. This book is all about the power of women and how a herd of southern women can change the course of one girl's life. It makes me want to become even more southern and have the power to be whoever I am meant to be. It shows how a child's struggle can be changed by the power of unconditional love.

Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
After much convincing from my little sister and others, I have decided it was probably time for me to tackle this ever so popular series of my childhood. I started about two weeks ago and I am already halfway through the third book. I guess that is saying something about the books addicting nature. I haven't decided if I am going to split the series and maybe read part over Christmas break or next summer or just trudge through them this summer so that I can say that I have partaken in the phenomena of my childhood.

I am hoping HP won't take me the rest of the summer, so I can update this post later in the summer with more amazing books that I have been able to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment