Saturday, July 9, 2011

Dangling with Hope

"Never let go of hope. One day you will see that it all has finally come together. What you have always wished for has finally come to be. You will look back and laugh at what has passed and you will ask yourself... 'How did I get through all of that?'"

I was thinking about hope on the way back to my house last night. It is one of those complicated feelings because it combines all the desires for things to work out with all the despair of nothing going right. I think most people are stuck in that middle place for a majority of their lives.  I know it is difficult for me to put my full faith into something that I am only guessing to be true.

I guess I am thinking about it because it's a state of being that I have started to incorporate more often into my thoughts. Instead of worrying about every detail of my life, I just have to hope that things will work out in the end. My problem with this idea is that living only on hope leads to somewhat mediocre results. I hope that everything that I am doing leads to a final result I am satisfied with but I have my hands in so many different pots that its hard to determine which endeavor I am more driven by. It is this battle that defines the boundaries of hope and I have to determine the middle ground.

We hope not only for ourselves but also for all the people around us who we care about and I think I tend to give a little bit too much of my emotional energy to that hope. I should be worried about myself and being satisfied with my own life rather than obessing over if my friends and family are going to take that next step. In the end, their lives are going to work out how they are suppose to and I need to be making sure that my life does the same. I guess it's better to pray that my family and friends are satisfied with their lives then to constantly hope. Maybe prayer is hope. We are giving God our hopes and allowing him to decide how the cards should fall.

Hope was combined with Faith and Love to create this trifecta of emotions. In order for us to live a more satisfying life, we can never lose hope, must always have faith and must feel love from those around us. I can't decide if that's too complicated or too simple. I guess it seems too simple for our complicated lives.

My goal is to focus my hope. Figure out exactly what I want to do and make it my top priority, then focus on my family and friends. That's what hope is truly about...desiring something and finding the means to achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment