Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dangling through Day One

It has been a really busy day! Why, you might ask? I moved to Baton Rouge, LA to start my 10-week long adventure.

Lesson #1: Adulthood hits you fast

First Rule of Business: Always bring your own toilet paper

I drove about 560 miles today. It wasn’t as bad as I was expecting though. I stopped in Montgomery, got gas and stretched my legs. I stopped in Mobile, got lunch, got gas and stretched my legs. At that point, I had made it through more than half of my trip. I decided that unless I needed gas again that I was going to make it to my apartment without any more stops. The last hour of the trip was probably the worst. I must have been excited in the morning because miles seem to float away. In the afternoon, I would look at the GPS every five minutes expecting the miles to keep whizzing by. Fortunately, my sorority little sister called to chat which made the afternoon less tiresome.

I got my first impression of Baton Rouge by driving down the road to my apartment complex. It seems like a nice town. I think it is somewhere between Athens and Atlanta based on size. It reminds me of San Antonio a little bit but that might be because it is flat. There is a really nice shopping center less than a mile from my complex and my complex is one of many “execu-stays” in the area. I got into my apartment and unloaded my car without any issues. I started to fill out the paperwork that was left for me and look around at the apartment. I quickly realized that even though the apartment was furnished it was lacking some key essentials i.e. the first rule of business. It seems very funny to me that I will be spending my summer with a consumer products firm yet the apartment that they set up for me failed to have any consumer products.
 
Upon this realization, I headed off to the store i.e. lesson #1. I got a great GPS guided tour of Baton Rouge because it could not lead me in the right direction to get to Wal-Mart. There are some quaint houses right around the corner from my apartment and the main roads that I will be driving on have tons of stores. I finally found the Wal-Mart (my GPS never really led me directly to it). I basically walked through every aisle of the store because I needed most the essentials as well as food to get me through my first week at work. As I was looking around for all the items I realized that I have been living a pleasured life for the past 21 years. I have literally always been able to move my stuff and everything else is waiting for me. Adulthood is realizing that providing for yourself is a much bigger task than previously expected. I need to start making money because I am quickly realizing that nothing comes cheap in this world. I also realized that I have no idea how to take care of maintenance on an apartment. I am without internet and television at the moment because I was told that they were going to be provided for me and when I got here I saw a lot of "salt and pepper" on the TV screen. How does an adult work and be present for things such as getting cable set up? I realized even in college, most of the time, your parents come up to help you set up an apartment. I literally moved everything in by myself and figured out that my best bet would be to go to the store. I can’t believe today is the first day of this crazy adventure. I know it is going to be a fun and exciting adventure but right now I am exhausted thinking about this crazy thing called growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment