Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dangling in Port Hudson, Louisiana

So I just got my location assignment for the summer. I will be working for 10 weeks in Port Hudson, Louisiana. I took this internship because of the possibility of being away from home for a short amount of time. It was kind of scary to see where I would officially be working but the more I research the more excited I am becoming about discovering this small town and the bigger cities surrounding it.

Info:
Port Hudson, LA

As you can see on the map, it really is in the middle of the lower portion of Louisiana.

Time to Baton Rouge: approximately 30 minutes

Time to New Orleans: approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes

So it's not too far out in the middle of nowhere. I haven't spent any time in either Baton Rouge or in New Orleans, so I will definitely be taking a trip or two.

Distance from Atlanta to Port Hudson: approximately 10 hours; haven't decided yet if I am going to try to drive by myself

Price of a Plane Ticket: approximately $300; going to spend once because I am coming back to Atlanta to see Jimmy Buffett at the beginning of June

Plant Information: Make consumer products and communication papers. The main brands that are housed in the plant are Brawny paper towel, Quilted Northern/Angel Soft bath tissue as well as paper used in printing. Maybe, I will come back with a lifetime supply of bath tissue haha!

I contacted my former advisor for my sorority because she lives in Baton Rouge and she told me that she thought I would probably be living in Zachary or Baton Rouge because there aren't very many places to live in Port Hudson. A lot of my research is based on that fact since I can't find that much information on Port Hudson. The biggest fact that I keep finding is that there was a Civil War battle named after this city. I guess I will have to check out the reenactment.

Some restaurants that I found in Baton Rouge: The Chimes, Fleur de Lis Pizza, and Chelsea's Cafe. It looks like I will be eating a lot of seafood this summer and I might just have to try alligator.

Attractions:
  • I am looking forward to getting the opportunity to tour LSU. My former advisor already told me that she will introduce me to some of the Gamma Zetas, so I will be able to hang out with girls my own age.  
  • Rural Life Museum
  • Shaw Center for the Arts
  • Baton Rouge Zoo
  • Downtown Area, etc.
Plus, there is the time that I want to spend in New Orleans. I plan to make every minute that I am not working worth it. I am waiting to hear back on my housing arrangement for the summer and hopefully I will have a better idea about what is going to be near me. This blog is going to be a great resource for me this summer, so that I can share with the rest of the world about my adventure.

So here goes nothing. Port Hudson, I hope you are ready for a 21 year old who is ready to be on her own and looking to have one of the best summers of her life, learning as much as she can about accounting and even more about the world around her. Wish me good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment