Sunday, October 10, 2010

Motivation

I have learned very early in this year that to get through the challenges that sophomore year presents a person has to have a deep supply of motivation. You have to motivate your self to get the "to do" list done each and every day. You have to convince yourself that everything you do is going to make the final outcome better. And your friends motivate you to do things fun like bake an apple pie at midnight on a Friday night :)

My motivation has been lacking in the last few months because I am so overwhelmed with the amount of work that I have to get done. Most of the time it just seems easier to ignore it all. When I dropped one of my classes, it didn't necessarily make the load lighter but it made the stuff I have to worry about a little less. I am actually enjoying my classes now which means that homework is not necessarily work but it still takes motivation to get started. I am learning quickly how much I have to give to each of my endeavors in order to succeed which means that the motivation should start coming more naturally, but who knows. I have a few light weeks which is never a good sign when there are ten million other things that limit my motivation to do homework.

I guess the most surprising thing about this year is how planned out my life is without me evening forcing it to be. I have always been very organized and in my senior year of high school I figured out the art of time management down to an hour-by-hour schedule system. Now as much as I try to make a schedule for myself, it is usually already done for me. Here is snick peak at tomorrow:

9:00 to 11:00- Class
11:30 to 4:00- Work
4:00 to 5:00- Probably down time or homework
5:20 to 7:00- Chapter Meeting
7:00 to 9:00- Exec Board Meeting

Please tell me what kind of person has enough stamina/motivation to come back from this day and sit for two to three hours to do homework. Monday and Tuesday are kind of unique though because I work and even though I get homework done, it still just takes up time. There are more hours in the end of my week but my extracurricular activities tend to find a way into those precious moments. Believe me, I am the kind of person who gets things done ahead of schedule and I succeed in my endeavors but it all adds up to a lack of time when I am suppose to be enjoying these four years of my life. I am going to keep telling myself to live one day at a time and hopefully that will help convinve myself that I have enough motivation to succeed each day instead of feeling like I am being swolled by a week or month long time line.

Life is good but motivation is one of those things that college students have to be aware of. Maybe it has something to do with the endless choices that we have in college, but that is another discussion for another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment