Thursday, October 7, 2010

Life's Expectations

No one can ever explain to a freshman college student how their life is going to change within the four years that they are in college. Everyone says how exciting it is going to be but no one ever says that it is going to be scary. Last year tested my strengths and weaknesses but I have learned from my past experiences. I am now a college sophomore and even though last year presented its challenges (being away from home, making my own decisions, trying to figure out what was in my future), this year is presenting its own set of issues as well as moments of joy. I am creating this blog because I know this year is just the beginning to creating a great life for myself.

Now where to begin on this journey.

The title of this post explains it all. The one thing I have learned in the first three months of my sophomore year is that the best thing you can do to make your life the best it can be is to change your expectations to meet your new circumstances. This philosophy became the most apparant when a few weeks ago I had to make the decision to buy a car for myself and to drop one of the classes I was taking this semester. I guess I should say that I am an Accounting major, so you could see how the buying a car thing might make me go a little crazy. I had to trust that if I spent the money on a new car that I would be able to resave a portion of that money before I leave college. My new car is great and I couldn't be happier but now I have to make myself save that money!  Something I wasn't expecting to have to do in college but like I said I have to get use to these changes. I have always been an academic person and I tend to worry too much about my success in each class. Dropping a class was something that I never expected of myself in college. When making this decision, I had to assure myself that my GPA would be better without the class than with it. I have more time to spend on my other four classes and in the end I will be more successful but its the worrying that I have to get over. The expectations for myself are changing which means that life in general is not what I expected. These stories are just two examples of these changes and I am sure there are more to come.

So come join me on this journey as I dangle through life!!!


Lucy (my magnificent new car)


No comments:

Post a Comment