Thursday, January 5, 2012

Dangling through LLSP

My semester was full of tax accounting and learning about myself through the Leonard program. Let's just say on December 13th, I was very relieved to be done with tax accounting but it was bittersweet because I was also done with my first class of the Leonard program.

Everyone told me that my expectations would be completely surpassed once I actually started in the Leonard program. I know that I was expecting for it to happen but I didn't realize that it was happening until the end of the semester. I threw myself into creating my PDLD document and the whole class came together to give a presentation to our client, Classic City High School. If I had any doubts that Leonard was going to make an impact on my life before those two events, those doubts were laid to rest. At the end of the semester, I was grateful for being given the opportunity to participate in this program and I am now counting down the days until my class heads up to the North Georgia Mountains for our retreat.

This program has started to change my life because it has started to push me towards my passions. I have never before been more grateful for parents who are not in the same careers that they started their working lives in 20 years ago. I have grown comfortable with changing careers which is going to be helpful because my passions aren't necessarily a straight career path.

The PDLP document is the Personal Development and Leadership Portfolio. I took assessments throughout the semester and wrote journals about how I was feeling trying to discover where my true passion lies. It also has Development Outcomes that I am going to be working on over the next year in order to follow my dreams. One of the hardest parts of the PDLD for me was the vision statement because it was the moment when I really had to make a decision about where I saw my life ending up. I struggled with this assignment because it was the first time I came to the realization that I want to do something more extraordinary with my life.

The final draft of my vision statement: My best leadership vision for the future is to be the person that people turn to when they need a solution to a problem. The person who is always willing to give advice and make sure that people know I am willing to support them. The person who is willing to make the judgment calls when they are necessary while considering all the facts. I want to be a leaders who knows about everything that is going on in the organization but also know where my strengths are most contributable. I want the people in my life to understand my core values and realize their importance to me. I want to start something that will last beyond my generation. I want to make a difference in the lives of children someway, somehow. The best way I can think to combine all my passions is to start a foundation and help contribute to the development of other human beings. In the end, I want to be known as the person who knew how they wanted to make a difference and was not too scared to pursue their dream.

I know this will be something that I look back on over the next few years and I am so glad that I got the opportunity to put together this project. Leadership is something that is very interesting to learn about because there are so many opinions about the best forms of leadership. I can't wait to continue learning and making myself a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment