Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dangling on a High Wire

This past weekend was one of the best of my life! I had the pleasure of spending 48 hours with 29 other amazing Leonards and learned a little bit about myself as well.

The campus transit bus took off at 2:00 p.m. and I can't say that I was looking forward to a four hour drive on a bus that usually drives around in a circle all day. The front of the bus was pretty chill. Most of us were reading or playing on our phones while the back of the bus was playing Catchphrase! We made our way to Chick-fil-A's Winshape Camp located at Berry College. I never went to camp growing up, so it was fun to get to experience it for a weekend.

Our theme for the weekend was Treasure Quest. We made the comparison that 5 year olds treasure objects that they can put in a bag and carry around with them while 95 year olds enjoy the memories they have made throughout a lifetime. In between those two time periods, our treasure changes. I realized that I want to make sure that my family always stays in the forefront of my mind. I want to have stability in my life, but there are very few aspects of my job that I am particular about because I know a job is just going to lead me to that stability which is more important to me.

I was questioning myself on Friday because I know that servitude is also very important to my future career goals. I came up with the crazy idea to start my own foundation but I am not really sure how to even move my life in that direction. By the end of the weekend, I realized that it starts with taking the first step.

Recess!!
Saturday, our day was full of low and high ropes courses. I enjoyed getting to feel like a child again, playing games on the field like it was recess. The Black Team also started to work together in a few of the team challenges. At lunch, I told everyone the old wives tale that my name use to be "Danger", so now I have another nickname to add to the list. We had the high ropes course in the afternoon and I was much more nervous than I was expecting. On all three of the obstacles, I stopped about halfway up because I was really questioning if I wanted to complete these challenges. The Black Team was great about encouraging all the members and those 9 other people are why I got through the high ropes course.

Black Team
The most rewarding experience was the Saturday night lecture. We all brought a momento to share with the group. It was an object from our life representing a story that we wanted to share with the group. I learned so much about the 29 other Leonards during this conversation. What I really wanted to convey with my story is that even though I am shy, I want to experience life to the fullest. Once again, I realized that it starts with the taking the first step.

Sunday was the final day of the retreat. It was enjoyable because our class finally got to assume our role as "official" Leonards and start to plan the upcoming year. My reflection from the weekend is much more then I will share here. My biggest take away is that in order to live life I can't be scared to take the first step. I have to live with intention and even if I don't know where the path leads I have to believe that the first step is headed in the right direction. Before this retreat, I thought my mantra for the year would be "Go Big or Go Home". I think believing in having a purpose in life and intentionally trying to reach that purpose are a much better use of my efforts.

This weekend I challenged myself. I was truly dangling on a high wire trying to figure out the best way to reach my goal. I feel more confident about myself after this weekend. It is 48 hours that I will never forget!

High Wire

No comments:

Post a Comment