Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dangling with Sisterhood

There's a special kind of freedom sisters enjoy. Freedom to share innermost thoughts, to ask a favor, to show their true feelings. The freedom to simply be themselves. Unknown

I got the pleasure of planning my sorority's sisterhood retreat this weekend. The purpose of this retreat is for our chapter to renew our commitment to Delta Gamma as well as to develop the bonds of sisterhood and friendship.

I will admit that I procrastinated planning this event slightly. My procrastination was helpful this time because we decided to change the retreat at the last minute. I was still up until all hours of the night getting everything ready but the change was definitely for the better.
During the retreat, our chapter plans out the goals that they would like to see achieved this year. We came up with a great list of items that I am excited to take action on to make our chapter better. Each member class got to come together and define what they want their four years in Delta Gamma to represent. Both of these activities were meaningful to me because each member starts to understand more fully what being a Delta Gamma truly means.
There was chaos throughout the day since I was trying to facilitate while also participating in activities. It's hard to get 180 people to all be on the same page at the same time. The worst moment of the day was when I let my temper get the best of me. I snapped at a few of the members because they were not participating in the activities. I realized after the event that the way I handled the situation was probably uncalled for. If I had stepped back from the situation then I might have been able to better handle myself under pressure.
The last activity of the day is one of our rituals and it always puts everyone in a good mood. I got to hear wonderful stories about Delta Gamma and add this day to my collection of memories made in Delta Gamma. It is going to be really sad next year when it is my last year as a collegiate member. I have learned so much from this chapter and I am a completely different person than the one who accepted a bid almost three years ago. One of my sisters said that "Delta Gamma encourages you to be the best version of yourself." I am so happy that is the case because I would not be as capable as I am today without my sisters by my side.
The best part of the day was after the event when people were telling me how much they enjoyed it. I am a self proclaimed people pleaser so when I can't make everyone happy it gets to me. It was a boost to my confidence that the plans I put in place were well received by everyone.

The night ended with an A Cappela tournament at the Morton Theater. The Accidentals from UGA took home the top prize and will be competing in the Semifinals in March. After that whirlwind of a day, I was exhausted.

Delta Gamma for hope, for strength, for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment