Friday, November 23, 2012

Dangling with Drive

Every time I start to think about a blog post, I consider how much has happened in my life since the last time I reflected on it. Each day I try to have a worthwhile experience and really live a purpose driven life because within the last year that has been instilled in me as a great way to drive yourself towards your goals.

As I was thinking about this post, it became clear to me how monotonous life can become. I think a whole lot about my future goals in life but I have no clear direction on how to reach the desired outcome. So instead of driving myself every day to learn something new or challenge myself to become a more purpose driven individual, I get into this routine that seems pointless.

I guess it could be a side effect of this transition period of my life. But since I don’t have a direction right now, I have started to consider that I might walk off this campus with a few more regrets that I was expecting. Was I involved enough? Did I really experience everything this town has to offer? Did I invest enough time in this campus that I will forever call my home? These questions arise from my feelings of disconnect with major parts of this university. Of course, I have checked the box on many of the typical experiences that UGA students are supposed to have but have I really driven myself to think outside of the box with my own college education?

I have a short four and half months left in a place that I am not sure I ever want to leave and to be honest, that scares me. It scares me enough to change my attitude. I want to feel that constant drive to work towards my goal. I want to be able to say that I sucked all of the life out of my education and the opportunities it afforded to me. I want to be able to say that even though there were weeks when I didn’t feel that deep down motivation to live life to the fullest, when the pendulum started to swing in the other direction I didn’t want to look back at the monotony.

My goal of 2012 was to live life to the fullest and even though it’s not time for my reflection, I think I succeeded until the tides turned in a different direction. This transition period in my life is going to make for a very interesting 2013 because in a matter of 12 months my life is probably going to change multiple times and each time I am going to have to reflect on my purpose and continue to feed my inner passion.

In my leadership program, we had a speaker come talk about his career at Chick-fil-A and he mentioned that my generation is so different from his because we talk about passion constantly and his main focus in college was to get a job. So what if you didn’t enjoy it? My generation is going to be the group of people who either leave an organization if our values don’t align or build up this inner drive to influence the organization significantly in our favor. I want to make sure that I have that inner drive and that I am making sure my activities are aligning with the passions that make my come alive inside.

I guess the point of this post is that times of transition lead to great opportunities to experience everything that life has to offer. In terms of one door closing and another one opening, I want that closed door to be the exit of an empty room and I want to be stepping into a room full of possibilities. And I guess thinking about my how I haven’t been taking advantage of life recently, I want to reignite my drive to live life to the fullest and not let my laziness lead to regrets and unfulfilled opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment