Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas

It's the most wonderful time of the year...not. Everyone knows that the holidays tend to bring out the emotions within family dynamics. Everyone spends a little too much time together and it just becomes a touchy subject. It's even too hard to describe in words. As hard as everyone tries to make Christmas the best time of year, it's just one of those things that makes life a little more stressful than usual.

This year, Christmas was the smallest side dish on my massive plate of commitment. I got home from Athens on the 14th and my work for Habitat's fundraiser started on the 18th. I had a few days to "relax" but you know I had an interview for a scholarship, a hair appointment and babysitting to get done. Once the fundraiser started I was at a different store each day wrapping gifts to my heart's content. Believe me it was rewarding especially when I saw the final number for donations but my body has literally been going all semester. I have not had a break. Along with Habitat's Gift Wrap I had to work on stuff for my new position in the sorority. Dues had to be inputted into the computer by December 26th, so that means it had to be done before Christmas.

Naturally since all this stuff was going on in my life before Christmas, I reached a breaking point on Christmas Eve. There are so many emotions that surround Christmas sometimes it wears a girl out. This whole semester has worn me down, so it was good for me to just get everything out on Christmas Eve. I had a lovely time at my grandmother's house and the past few days have been relaxing. I really enjoy the times when I don't have to worry about too many things.

The problem is gearing myself up for more tasks. There are emails to answer, friends to hang out with, applications to submit and rooms to clean. I am quickly finding out that young adulthood is filled with many tasks. There aren't too many moments that are just filled with laziness. I can't say that I don't enjoy being busy because it always gives me something to do but there comes a time when I am too busy and I am going to have to take a step back. I have to recharge for next semester or else my threshold of stress is going to break more often.

Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year because it forces us to think about the previous year. I know I am going to make some changes in 2011, so that I can be a better me. I love all the things I do, but there is more to life than tasks for sure. I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment